Thursday, March 29, 2012

So it's been almost a year...

I can't believe I have been so lazy in blogging that whole 10 months have gone by! I could have had another baby from the last post and this one! Oh wait, I DID! Granted, she's almost 9 months old, but she's just cute as a button and keeping me busy. Maybe she's part of the reason I haven't written.

SO much has changed in the last 10 months but yet I don't know where to start.

We bought a new lot and will hopefully be starting to build a new house soon. It's in a nicer area than we're in now (not that we live in the hood, mind you)... but it's just different. It will more than likely be our "live and die" house and one that someday our kids can move into with their families. Hopefully it will stand the test of time from one generation to the next.

I debated deleting my Facebook page just because it had been a distraction to me, but then I realized how many friends' lives I can keep up with that way. I suppose by my blog, it's more or less for my own records and for anyone out there who is bored to read about our happenings.

We've pulled Noah out of school after getting some really scary lab results back on his peanut allergy. :( In fact, this reason alone is why I decided to pick back up blogging. I've always loved to write and find that it's a healthy expression of my feelings so that I don't burden anyone else with my problems by talking about it and it let's me get my feelings out. I guess I'm probably talking to myself, but in doing so, I end up figuring out solutions to would-be problems this way!

Back to Noah, his peanut allergy is truly so severe, we were playing Russian Roulette by having him in school. We took him out and so far have been teaching him the public curriculum at home, as he's still a student of the district. Because of the severity of the allergy, Noah is considered to have a disability and is protected under the American's with Disabilities Act. He has a 504 Plan with his school and I am expecting a phone call today to set up another meeting. We hopefully will be getting the good news that they will allow us to continue essentially homeschooling him the curriculum because so far it is working out very well. We are also going to try to have him tested to bump up a few grades. We had him placement tested with another online school curriculum and he tested into 4th grade math and 4th grade reading. He's in 1st grade and 7 years old! We always knew he was a little smartie pants and that regular school bored him to no end, but now we see how far ahead he really is. The school nurse told me the other day that the schools do not receive funding at all from the moment any child bumps up a grade from that point all throughout their high school education. Isn't that ridiculous!? She said THAT is why the schools make it so difficult for kids to test out and skip grades. I think that is really sad. (If the parent of a kindergartener wants their child to skip to FIRST grade, that child must test OUT of the 3rd grade material! CRAAAAZY!)

Anyway, whatever is meant to happen will happen. I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself to keep the faith and know that God is in control, not me. Although, I'm a pretty good back-seat driver if I must say so myself.

I plan to try and update things about Noah here..... and other life things too, but especially Noah.

As of now, we're just waiting on the 504 meeting to see if they can let us keep doing what we're doing to keep him away from the building but continuing to get the public education. Fingers crossed, knees on the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments